Friday, March 19, 2010

Burmese Banana Cake (Nget Pyaw Thii Shwe Gye)

 I like burmese banana cake, called Nget Pyaw Thii Shwe Gye. I miss this banana cake very much. I have not eaten it for very very long ago. I have tried it once by modifing Shwe Gye recipe I had. But I could not get the same texture and taste that I had in Burma. Recently, I joined  "Housewife" in facebook and I was browsing  photos - dishes submitted by fans of Housewife. Then, I found a number of burmese banana cake photos submitted by fans and they mentioned that they used one of fan' recipe, Ma Chit Ei Maung. The recipe in Burmese version is also available. ငွက္ေပ်ာသီးမုန္႕လုပ္နည္းကို ျမန္မာလို ဒီမွာဖတ္ရႈႏိုင္ပါသည္။ If you dont have burmese fonts or problem reading burmese fonts in your browser, click here.

So, I searched the original recipe by scanning through all photos (100 plus) backwards as the latest photo comes  first. Finally, I found the recipe shared by Ma Chit Ei Maung. I tried it out and wow, it was very very yummy. It was worthwhile for trouble to find recipe. The taste and texture was the same as the one I had in Buram. I gave to my sister in law who likes all kind of banana cakes and she said it was so good. I want to post the recipe on my blog so I wrote the email to Ma Chit Ei Maung and asked her permission. She is a nice person and allowed me to post her recipe  on my blog. The original recipe in burmese is directly extracted from Ma Chit Ei Maung's post in facebook.

Burmese Version
ပါ၀င္ေသာ ပစၥည္းမ်ား
  • ငွက္ေပ်ာသီး (သီးေမြး လို အ၀ါေရာင္အသီးပဲ )  ၈ လုံး( အရွည္ ၁၅ စင္တီမီတာ)
  • သၾကား  ၆၀ ဂရမ္
  • ဂ်ုဳံမွဳန္  ၈၀ ဂရမ္
  • ေထာပတ္ ၃၂ ဂရမ္
  • အုန္းရည္ ၄၀၀ မီလီလီိတာ
  • အုန္းသီမွဳန္႕ ၈၀ ဂရမ္
  • ဆား အနည္းငယ္
  • အနီေရာင္မွဳန္႕(red food color)  အနည္းငယ္
  • ဘိန္းေစ့ (poppy seed ) အနည္းငယ္
  • မုန့္ ဖုတ္မည့္ဗန္းက ၂၀ စင္တီမီတာ အိုး

ငွက္ေပ်ာသီးမုန္႕လုပ္နည္း
၁. အကင္စက္ (oven) ကို ၁၈၀ ဒီဂရီ စဲလ္စီရက္ (180 degree C) အပူေပးထားပါ (pre-heat) ။
၂. ငွက္ေပ်ာသီးမ်ားကို အခြံႏြာျပီးလွ်င္ ေခ်လိုက္ပါ။ juicer ကိုသံုးလဲရပါတယ္။ ၿပီးလွ်င္  ဇလံု အၾကီးတခု ထဲသို႕ ေျပာင္းထည့္ ပါ ။
၃. ဂ်ဳံမွုဳန္းမ်ား ကို ဇကာနွင့္ စစ္ၿပီးထည့္လိုက္ပါ။ သၾကားထည့္ပါ။ အခ်ိဳႀကိဳက္လ်ွင္ သၾကား ပိုထည့္ႏိုင္ သည္။
၄. ေထာပတ္ ကို ဖုတ္မည့္အိုး ကို သုပ္လိမ္းရန္ အနည္းငယ္ခ်န္ထားၿပီး အားလုံးကို ဇလံုထဲထည့္ပါ။
၅. အုန္းနို႕ အရည္ ကို မီးဖို ေပၚတင္ၿပီး အုန္းနို ့ခ်က္ အနွစ္ရေအာင္ ( အရည္ မက်န္ေအာင္ အႏွစ္သာရေအာင္ခ်က္ပါ ) ခ်က္ထားပါ။ အဲဒီအုန္းႏို႔အနွစ္ ကိုထည့္ပါ။
၆. အုန္းသီးမွဳန့္ ကိုလဲထည့္ပါ။ အနီေရာင္မွဳန္ ့ကိုလဲထည့္ ပါ။ဆားအနည္း ငယ္ထည့္ပါ။
ရ. အားလုံး ကုိ သမ ေအာင္ အသာအယာ ေမႊတံေလးနွင့္ ေမႊလိုက္ပါ။ စက္ႏွင့္ေမႊရန္မလိုပါ။
၈. ေမႊျပီး လွ်င္ ဖုတ္ရန္ အသင့္ ျဖစ္ သည့္ အတြက္ ဖုတ္ မည့္ အိုးကို ေထာပတ္ သုပ္လိမ္းထားပါ။ ဖုတ္မည့္ ဗန္းထဲသို ့ ငွက္ေပ်ာသီး အေရာမ်ားကို ေျပာင္းထည့္ လိုက္ပါ။ မ်က္ႏွာျပင္ အေပၚယံကို အုန္းနို ့ အရည္ အနည္းငယ္ ဖ်န္းလွ်င္ ပိုေမႊးပါသည္။ ၿပီးလွ်င္ ဘိန္းေစ့ ေလးမ်ား ကို ျဖဴးလိုက္ပါ။
၉. အကင္စက္ (oven) ထဲကို ဖုတ္မည့္ ဗန္းထည့္ပါ။ အပူခ်ိန္ ၁၈၀ ဒီဂရီ စဲလ္စီရက္ (180 degree C) ႏွင့္ ၄၅ မိနစ္ ဖုတ္ ပါ ။
၁၀. အခ်ိန္ျပည့္ လွ်င္ ဗန္း ကို ထုပ္ၿပီး မုန္ ့သား အတြင္းသို ့ အခြ်န္ ေလး ( သြားၾကားထိုးတံ ) ေလးျဖင့္ ထိုးၾကည့္ပါ။ အထဲမွ မုန့္႕သားအစိုဓါတ္ရွိ၊ မရွိၾကည့္ ပါ။ အနည္းငယ္စိုေနေသးလွ်င္ ေနာက္ထပ္ ၁၀-၁၅ မိနစ္ထပ္ေပးၿပီး ဖုတ္ပါ။
က်က္လွ်င္ အေအးခံထားပါ။ ေအးမွ မုန္ ့မ်ားကိုမိမိ ႏွစ္သက္ ရာပုံစံ လွီး ၍ သုံးေဆာင္နုိင္ပါသည္။

I did not have the desiccated coconut on hand, so I omit it. I also forgot to add poppy seeds but banana cake was still great. 60g sugar is good enough for me. Ma Chit Ei Maung mentioned that we can add more sugar if we like sweetness. I added 1/2 teaspoon of salt and around 1/16 teaspoon of red food color powder. In fact, food coloring is not very good for health and we can omit it. It is only for appearance of the cake. I added banana flavor in the first batch and this batch was without it. I prefer with banana flavor.

I did not exactly follow the direction. When I boiled the coconut milk, I added the mashed bananas at the same time and boil. So that bananas soften more and flavor comes out. This is what I think only. Maybe or may not be true. The rest of steps are same as original recipe. I used the 7 inches baking tin to bake the burmese banana cake and the thickness is just nice.

I did again this week and  realized that mashed banana should not boil together with coconut milk. I felt the banana sour taste from final product. Next time, I will just follow the original recipe's direction. I have updated below  steps.

Ingredients:
  • 8   15cm-bananas, mash
  • 60g sugar
  • 80g flour
  • 32g butter
  • 400ml coconut milk
  • 80g desiccated coconut
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/16 teaspoon red food coloring
  • 5g poppy seed
  • 1 teaspoon banana flavor, optional
Direction:
  1. Preheat the oven at 180 degree C.
  2. Mash the bananas and melt the butter.
  3. Boil coconut milk until it becomes very thick. 
  4. Remove thick coconut milk from heat and add mashed banana, flour, butter, salt, sugar, desiccated coconut, banana flavor  and red food coloring and mix well.
  5. Pour the batter into the baking tin, sprinkle one tablespoon of coconut milk , then poppy seed and bake at 180 degree C for 45 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. This is yummy!. I also wanted to make this since I saw Ma Chit Ei's cake. ..Will try out in a few months time. :D .Still busy with the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yah, we should try once in lifetime for her banana cake. It is very yummy. so far, hers is best compared to other recipes. btw, I cannot wait to see more cakes from your course.. happy baking..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails