Friday, April 2, 2010

Banana Cake


After seeing the banana cake in My Favorite Place in Little Pigeonhole blog, I want to bake banana cake for Sayadaw as I am going to his place today. That banana cake looks delicious and the appearance is similar to popular cake we had in Burma. Although I want to try that recipe, Sayadaw likes the texture of chiffon cake. I should have asked her how was the texture of the cake. It was too late and I used the old recipe I have. I just ask her about texture and I will bake it for Sayadaw next time if  the texture is delicate and soft.

I baked only half  the recipe. The cake tastes a bit blend as I should add the salt to the batter as the recipe calls for salted butter and I used unsalted butter. The chiffon cake seems more delicate using cake flour and I used the cake flour here. I reduced the amount of baking soda as I am sensitive to the taste of baking soda. I usually replace baking soda with baking powder. But my instructor told us that banana cake must have baking soda in it.  

Furthermore, I topped the cake with banana slices and my husband tole me it was so ugly. Sigh. How I get this idea? Last time, my cousin told me that there are banana slices in the banana cake sold in one of famous bakery in Singapore and she said very nice. So, I just want to replicate it.


Ingredients:
  • 5 eggs
  • 300g sugar
  • 400g banana, mashed , weight without skin
  • 300g plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda {original: 1/2 tsp baking soda}
  • 200 ml corn oil
  • 1/2 tsp banana essence {original: omit}
Direction:
  1. Preheat oven to 160 degree C.
  2. Grease and line a 10 inches square or 11 inches round baking tin with paper or use un-greased chiffon mold.
  3. Whisk eggs, sugar and banana for  10 -15 minutes with maximum speed  or till pale thick.
  4. Add sifted flour, baking powder and baking soda and fold well by hand or hand whisk. Do not fold too long. Add in corn oil and mix well.
  5. Sprinkle banana slices on top of the cake. {original: omit}
  6. Pour into baking tin and bake for about 40 - 45 minutes.
  7. After finish baking,  remove the cake from tin immediately or invert the chiffon mold.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, Banan slices in the cake is really very nice. I just love it. The texture of my Banan cake was rather thick and it is something similar to marble cake texture. Thought it is very nice, I am not sure whether phone phone will like it or not due to its rich texture.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails