Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Steamed Chicken Broth

 Last Sunday, I went to my aunt place as she invited a Sayadaw from yangon who is now in LA. I heard the conversation between people and monk and learned that he is weak and need some nourishing stuff to replenish body. Then I immediately know what to give him. You guess! steamed chicken broth.

It is not usual chicken soup. It has to be steamed for 5 to 6 hours in double boiler  to get the broth from chicken and get small broth. For me, I place the converted bowl in the chinese pot, place chicken on the bowl in the chinese pot and then  place pot in the steamer and steam it. It is up to us which kitchen pots we want to use, not necessary double boiler, just make sure the inside pot is well covered with lid.
 
  
  
 

How I know the chicken broth is good for weak people! Because my sister-in-law's sister told me that she gave that chicken broth to her mother-in-law (80 years old plus) during her hospitalization and her mother-in-law recovered after taking it for 8 weeks.

It is very good for people who is very weak after recovering from illness. But it should not be drunk everyday, once a week for 4 to 8 weeks and then become fewer and fewer like once every two week and etc. That steam chicken soup is very heaty and good for old people, sick people, weak people or young people too drink during winter.  

I drank and heard about chicken broth in my childhood. But I don't remember exactly how to do it. This time, I learned the whole process from my sister-in-law's sister.

Sayadaw's place is near my home. I am going to bring chicken broth to him for tomorrow lunch.  I always use the fresh brown chicken from chinese poultry or Tyson small rock cornish game hen without hormones administered and artificial ingredients. I will include the details of how i prepare the broth. The person who drink broth, usually don't advise to eat the chicken as it might lose effect of broth. Either other people eat chicken or eat it another day.

Ingredients:
1 brown chicken
1 slice of ginger
coarse salt
pinch of salt

Direction:
  1. Remove the skin and any fat from chicken and chopped to big pieces, breast, two tights and backbone. 
  2. Sprinkle chicken pieces liberally with coarse salt. Rub well to clean the meat and remove any strong flavor. Rinse thoroughly in cold running water and let water drain out.
  3. Place the chicken pieces into a gallon zip lock bag or plastics bag and pound with meat tenderizer till bones are broken. After that remove the chicken pieces from zip lock bag.
  4. If using double boiler, place the ginger on the top pot. Invert the bowl (ginger is inside inverted bowl) on top pot. The edge of bowl should fit the bottom of top pot. Place the chicken pieces on inverted bowl and cover the top pot with lid.
  5. Add water to fill below pot more than halfway. Stack two pots and steam the chicken broth over medium heat for 4 - 5 hours. Add boiling water to the below pot as necessary , about 4 cups per hour, ensuring the water does not boil away and burn the pot.
  6. After turn of the fire, leave broth in the pot until ready to drink.
  7. Before serving, remove the chicken from the inverted bowl. The chicken can be eat with chili sauce or stir fried. Then remove the bowl and ginger and season the broth with salt to taste. Serve broth immediately.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails